Do I need a Plumber or a Drainage Contractor?


Do I need a Plumber or a Drainage Contractor?

We know that dealing with a plumbing or drainage issue in your property can be a huge source of stress. And to add to the stress, sometimes it’s tricky to know who exactly to call to help, and whether you’re dealing with a dripping tap or a blocked drain, many people are left asking themselves “what do plumbers do that is different to a drainage contractor?”

Here, we explain the difference between a drainage contractor and a plumber, so you know who to call to deal with your specific issue.

PlusHeat can call out drainage engineers and experienced plumbers as part of our extensive home emergency cover, so you can protect your family (and your wallet) when things go wrong. Have a look at our plans here.

Do I need a drainage expert?

Experiencing any of the following? I is often best to seek the advice of a professional drainage expert…

• Your drains are blocked or slow-flowing

• Your drainage pipes require replacing or relining

• You’re experiencing flooding due to burst external pipework

• You’re suffering from a faulty or blocked sewer line

• You require removal and disposal of waste and foul water

• You require a CCTV camera surveys to inspect the condition of your drains

Do I need a plumber?

If you’re experiencing any of the following, a plumber would be the best person to call if…

• Your tap is leaking

• Your toilet, shower, bath, or sink need repairing or replacing

• You need new taps installed

• You have a leaky radiator

• You have a leak in the interior pipework of your home


Plumber vs Drainage Contractor: General rule of thumb


One rule of thumb to follow is if it’s a problem with water entering your property (for example a dripping tap, replacing a toilet or bath etc) is that this work would typically be carried out by a plumbing engineer.

The type of work best carried out by a drainage engineer is when the problem is with water exiting your property (a blocked toilet, sink, or broken drain for example).


Keep your sun shining

PlusHeat offer extensive home emergency cover so you can protect your home (and your wallet!) when things go wrong. We offer 24/7 advice and support with boiler and central heating, plumbing, electrical and drainage cover from just 15p a day. Contact our friendly team on 0808 164 2892. We’re here to help!