If the option of gas is unavailable where you live, or you want the benefits of having an electric-powered heating system, then an electric boiler could be the ideal solution.
Weigh up the pros and cons of an electric boiler to make sure it’s the best fit for your needs.
What are electric boilers?
Electric boilers heat hot water for your heating system using only electricity.
They are an ideal option for properties with no access to mains gas supply or have gas boiler restrictions, like listed buildings or bed-sits, or off-grid areas.
Several electric boiler manufacturers in the UK offer models with various kW output options, depending on the size and heating requirements of your home.
They work in a similar way to a kettle, where a heating element heats water running through it. Sometimes, electric boilers will be long slim units designed to create maximum surface area to heat the water.
- • Energy efficient with around 99% efficiency rate for the user. No heat is lost through waste gases as they do not require burning of fossil fuels to produce heat.
- • Can run quietly as electric boilers do not require elements within the boiler moving to generate heat.
- • Small, compact systems that can squeeze into tight spots as they do not require a flue. Electric boilers do not need to be placed on an outside wall.
- • It can be easy and cheap to install since the vast majority of homes have electricity running to them.
- • No gas supply required, convenient for those under gas boiler restrictions.
- • Less maintenance as electric boilers contain few mechanical parts. They are very durable pieces of equipment that don’t require constant upkeep.
- •Typically small systems, so may struggle to heat larger properties or those with higher levels of hot water usage.
- • Higher costs: electric is more expensive than gas. It means the cost of heating water using electricity with an electric boiler is going to be a lot higher, even if you have a very efficient system.
- • It may be expensive to change to a gas system later down the line: the move to an electric boiler might be easy, but moving back to gas in the future may be problematic.
Did you know, PlusHeat
cover electric boilers as part of our low cost home cover? Get in touch to find out more.