Be prepared, stay safe and protect your property in Storm Ciara
8 February 2020
When a storm hits, we can expect widespread travel disruption and power cuts. We’ve put some top tips together on how to make sure you, your family, and your property stay safe.
Only travel if necessary
Drivers are being warned to take extra care on the roads due to the potential of difficult conditions caused by heavy rain, particularly on coastal or exposed routes.
Forecasters have also raised concerns there could be delays and cancellations to air and ferry services.
If you do go out, keep away from the sheltered side of boundary walls and fences. If these structures fail, they will collapse on this side.
Secure loose objects
Secure anything such as ladders and garden furniture and close and securely fasten doors and windows that could cause damage if caught in strong winds.
Park vehicles in a garage if possible, or keep them clear of buildings, trees, walls and fences.
Be careful of loose electrical cables
Be careful not to touch any electrical/telephone cables that have been blown down or are still hanging.
What to do if there’s a power cut
Get in touch with the network distributor for your area. They’ll be able to give you more information about the power cut and an estimate of when it’ll come back on.
How to prepare in advance:
• Keep a torch handy and stocked with batteries.
• Don’t let your mobile battery get low on battery. Keep as charged as possible.
If your power is off for a significant amount of time:
• Turn off electronic appliances and gadgets at the plug or unplug them entirely. When the power resumes if can cause surges, overloading and frying electronics.
• Be careful if using candles inside. Always keep them within sight, away from anything flammable and out of the reach of children and pets.
• Check and see if your neighbours are safe, especially elderly or vulnerable ones.
Keep your sun shining
PlusHeat offer extensive home emergency cover so you can protect your home (and your wallet!) when things go wrong. We offer 24/7 advice and support with boiler and central heating, plumbing, electrical and drainage cover from just 15p a day. Contact our friendly team on 0808 164 2892. We’re here to help!